With Westhaven Marina’s pontoon berths operating at full capacity, there is a growing demand for new walk aboard berths in Auckland.
One of the solutions outlined in the 2013 Westhaven Plan is the Pile Berth Redevelopment project. This project is taking place in two stages and entails:
- Staged redevelopment of the pile moorings to floating berths
- Installing modern new marina berths to help reduce Westhaven Marina’s waitlist
- Creating more green space for public use and increasing access to the waterfront and piers on Westhaven’s northern edge
- Provision of new car parks
Stage one of the project began in 2019. A new reclamation/headland was formed, extending the northern end of the marina. This area is being designed in partnership with mana whenua.
The less-utilised pile berths were consolidated to make space, and the marina’s western entrance was closed off to reduce the tidal effect on boats in this section of the marina.
While the reclamation settled, 90 new floating berths (a mixture of 20 metre and 24 metre) were constructed by 2022.
Stage two of the project commenced in late February 2023. This stage involves:
- Extending the Westhaven Promenade boardwalk along the southern side of the reclamation
- Installing new utility services
- Construction of a new car park and landscaping
This project is estimated to take approximately ten months to complete.
Commencement of works
(photos, March 2023)