Start your marinas career!
Are you interested in a cadetship in the marinas industry? We are seeking the next generation of emerging marina professionals for a cadetship with Panuku Development Auckland’s three marinas.
As a Marinas Cadet taking part in this programme that will span 2.5-3 years, you will be working with the teams at each marina to learn the different aspects of marina operations and common practices used worldwide.
The marinas are:
- Westhaven Marina, the biggest marina in the Southern Hemisphere and the heart of boating in Auckland
- The adjacent superyacht facility Silo Marina
- The boutique inner-city marina, Viaduct Marina
At the same time we will coach you to attain the “NZ National Certificate in Marina Operations and Services” (Level 3).
You will be able to choose to follow either Marina & Boatyard Operations or Marina Administration and the team will help you choose strand that is right for you.
The knowledge and certification that can be the outcome of this Cadetship offers opportunities on all aspects of marina operation construction and design. The knowledge offered will apply internationally and locally.
Your cadetship starts with an orientation/ induction program to give you an overview of the marinas and to provide all necessary information to you. After the initial orientation you will be working with the marina teams to gain experience in the following areas:
- You will learn the Dockmaster and Marina maintenance roles on land and water which is a key function in a marina and involves a considerable amount of skill, experience, and knowledge. A big part of this role is managing and recognising risks, preventing damage in bad weather, coping with accidents and the resulting damage, flooding or fire.
- From learning how to operate a VHF marine radio course to driving a power boat (RYA Level 2 course) and giving assistance to recreational vessels within the boat harbour.
- Our customers are very important to us and customer satisfaction is essential to the marina business. Working alongside the Front Office Team, you will learn how to provide excellent service, how to communicate effectively and how to deal with conflict. You will build customer relationships and yet operate with firmness and decisiveness.
- Health and Safety is a big part of any business and you will learn all about personal safety and risk assessment. You will be taught about safety equipment through emergency drills and about First Aid through a two-day course.
- We are passionate about the environment and you will learn about the Clean Marina and Blue Flag program we introduced to reduce our impact on coastal and inland waters
To be eligible you:
- Must have NCEA Level 2 in numeracy and literacy (or equivalent).
- May be required to complete pre-employment checks such as drug testing (for safety sensitive roles) and criminal convictions may be required.
- Applicants with criminal convictions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Needs to be eligible to work in New Zealand.
Please contact Westhaven Marina Maneger Karenza Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information or phone 0800 MARINAS